Thursday, May 6, 2010

Met Edware Tufte this evening

I was out this evening walking my dog headed to the dog run near Chelsea piers.   I had seen on previous walks that Edward Tufte was doing an art installation at the corner of 20th St. & 11th ave. (map)  (NYC's "west" Chelsea area is now packed with galleries.)   There's a sign on the door that says artist tours are available while they are doing the installation, and dogs are welcome.

Today, I stopped to check the sign to see if there was any update on when the exhibit would open.  He saw me opened the door and invited me (and Winston) in.

I had first found out about Edward Tufte's work, in particular his books and one day seminars from Marc Donner.  (If there is anyone I would call a mentor, it would be Marc, but that's another story.)  I attended the seminar I think in spring of '96 or '97 at best as I can recall.  (Marc and I were still at UBS, and it was still Union Bank of Switzerland, pre-Swiss Bank merger.)  Marc took the seminar with me.  It was at Caroline's Comedy Cub which is (or was) very close to Morgan Stanley's building where they put all of the IT people. (This building is often called "the black setback" due to it's design.)

The seminar was fascinating.  There was so much to think about and absorb, I'm sure I missed a significant portion of the content.  I've been meaning to take it again some time. I recommend the seminar to anyone who has an interest in presenting data or trying to see through what others are presenting.   The books are excellent but that's a topic in itself.

If you get to Chelsea stop by the gallery.

View Larger Map



http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/


(Hey this post is rambling enough, that it really qualifies as a blog entry)

No comments: